Thursday, October 23, 2008

Secondary Reserch

As well as my survey I also did a secondary research. For this research I looked up "British Slang" on http://www.etymonline.com/ and it gave me a few words that are commonly used and have been derived from old british slang. There were some okay words, so then I started looking for words I've heard sung in rock, British and American alike.. Here are some of those words.
Radical: From Latin to have roots, then to being a Radical, to want change from the roots. Then to radical used in surfer and rock lingo: at the limits of control, from radical meaning reform. Songs: The New Radicals "You Get What You Give" and The Flaming Lips "Free Radicals"
Heist: Shoplifter, thief, from British "Hoist" as you "hoist someone onto your shoulders to break in." Album: Ari Hest "The Heist"
Twist: from early British twaste "to wring" then used in yarn making "to twist to pieces of thread together." Song: The Beatles "Twist and Shout!"


No comments: